Kairos is a program that demonstrates God’s love to men, women and youth who are incarcerated with the goal of fostering Christian community within our prisons. It takes place over a four day “weekend” where up to 42 participants are fed spiritually, physically and emotionally by Kairos volunteers in the prison. You can come be a part of the team!
Maybe you’re passion is NOT to go inside a prison but you’d still like to help. If you know how to bake cookies or use crayons, you can! Here are some of the ways:
Prayer is our greatest need. We need your prayers for the success of the mission. Please pray for:
- Residents for the Weekend
- Kairos Weekend Leader
- Support Team
- Our host Church
- That the will of God be accomplished
- Ask a team member about the Prayer Chain.
What Kind of Cookies?
Chocolate Chip, oatmeal, peanut butter are favorites. Homemade cookies are preferred but store-bought are also appreciated.
Cookie “Please Do’s”
- The cookies have to go thru an X-ray machine so please pack them in boxes and use wax paper to separate- please no aluminum foil.
- You can freeze cookies, which can allow you to make them up ahead of time.
Cookie “Please Don’t Do’s”
- No fruit or nuts.
- No icing or sugar on the outside of the cookies.
At each meal, placemats are used. These handmade placemats are powerful tools of the Holy Spirit that can break open a lifetime of sorrow and let the love of Christ in. Placemats made by children are especially effective.
- Decorated by children – no stickers or glue
- Simple message of God’s love
- Include child’s first name only and age
- Preferred size is 11 x 17
Sunday school classes, Bible study groups, reunion groups, youth groups, and even families can make a poster that expresses the hope found in Christ. These messages of love from the Body of Christ have a powerful impact on hardened hearts.
- What is on the poster is not so important. It can be a simple trace of hands or a beautiful work of art.
- It should have the name of the group
- It should have the group’s signatures (if kids, first name only and age)
- No stickers or glue.
Write Letters of Hope:
Write letters from God’s family to the inmate expressing God’s love.
- Address to “Dear Brother in Christ”
- Don’t seal the envelope
- Short “note” from children has an incredible impact for Christ!
Here are some ideas for writing a letter – http://www.kairoslompoc.org/docs/OutsideLetterHandout.pdf
Sponsor an Inmate:
You can help an inmate come heart to heart with the love of God by financially sponsoring him/her for the Kairos 4 day weekend. It costs $ 125 per inmate, or $750 per table family. Families, reunion groups, and Sunday school classes can help sponsor an inmate into a new life – one based on Christ. Or you can purchase a meal with a donation of $10 or more.
Mail your contributions to:
KAIROS of Oklahoma
P.O. Box 54383
Oklahoma City, OK 73154-1383
Attend a Closing:
At the end of the 4 day weekend there is a ceremony, the “closing”. You can attend the ceremony and express your support for Christ’s work in the lives of the participants.
For more information about what Kairos Prison Ministry International (KPMI) is doing in Oklahoma click on the links below.
If you would like to be a part of the Ada First Prison Ministry contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office.