Pastor Brad Graves
Written by Brad Graves, Senior Pastor
The Nativity story teaches me...
You are never too young to be a part of God’s Redemption Plan
• Mary was a teenager and became the central figure of the Nativity story
You are never too old to be a part of God’s Redemption Plan
• Tradition says that Simenon was probably 113 and Anna was 106 years old yet God kept them alive until Jesus was born
You are never too dirty to be a part of God’s Redemption Plan
• Shepherds were considered a lower class yet were the first chosen to worship and witness Jesus
You are never too distant to be a part of God’s Redemption Plan
• Magi or Wise Men were about 1000 miles away and traveled for at least three months to Bethlehem and we sing about their gifts and journey still today
You can be too greedy and miss God’s Redemption Plan
• From Herod to Bethlehem was only five miles away on a map but a million miles away in his heart. He was not about to share his throne with anyone regardless of who they were.
You can be too religious and miss God’s Redemption Plan
• The Priest that Herod consulted knew the prophecy of Bethlehem but did not care about the baby Messiah born there. What you know will not sanctify you, but what you apply can.
You can be too self-absorbed and miss God’s Redemption Plan
• The Inn Keeper had the greatest miss of all. We could be singing carols of the selfless Inn Keeper who gave up his bed. We would have had churches, colleges, and cities named after this man, whomever it was that told Joseph there was no more room inside. Instead his name is not mentioned because he is forgotten in history.
Nothing you are can stop you from experiencing God’s redemption plan, but things that you do can make you miss out on God’s redemption plan. The choice is really in your hands…what will you do with Jesus this Christmas Season?
Brad Graves is the Senior Pastor at Ada First Baptist Church.